Skip to main content

tv   Mad Money  CNBC  December 10, 2009 11:00pm-12:00am EST

11:00 pm
>> i'm jim cramer, and welcome to my world. >> you need to get in the game. >> funds need to go out of business. they're nuts, they're nuts. they know nothing. >> i always like to say there is a bull market somewhere. >> "mad money," you can't afford to miss it. >> hey, i'm cramer. welcome to "mad money." welcome to cramerica. other people want to make friends. i'm not interested. i'm just trying to make you some money. also i want to entertain and educate. so call me at 1-800-743-cnbc. the press is simply way too negative. i think the prevailing attitude on wall street and in the press is simply way too negative. >> boo! >> something we have to catalogue endlessly on this show as i've tried to help separate the facts as i see them from the yes bearish spin. but you know what? i had a dream last night.
11:01 pm
a dream. a dream of a more perfect world where analysts aren't afraid to be bullish, even if it's out of sync with conventional wisdom or the look and feel of the moment. and in that dream, i read an analyst's report. yeah. an analyst's report came to me in the middle of the night in my dream, in my sleep. hey, maybe you dream about tropical vacations or members of the opposite sex or perhaps of a bad romance. ba, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah, rah. lady -- okay. but for me dreaming about cell side research isn't all that unusual. i imagine a piece of research that doesn't exist, a report of a retail analyst that acknowledges the facts instead of bowing to the pressure to be too pessimistic. when i woke up, of course, in a sweat, cool, clammy sweat, i remembered every word of this retail report as it should have
11:02 pm
been written, as i would write it, as opposed to how retail analysts are actually framing things. and tonight i want to share with you so you know the truth about this important sector. what's it titled? it's entitled why retail stocks should be bought now. analyst, james j. cramer. oh, man, that already sounds pretty irratical, doesn't it? but here we go. this is what analysts would be writing about retail in a perfect world where rigor trumps the desire to be always negative and where the analysts are not slaves to the short-selling hedge pfund community that wants you to lose money. not my game. start pretty bullishly with the holiday season upon us. it's time to step up to the retail sector and go fully invested in this segment. channel checks indicate that the consumer is spending more than we thought. and some items, particularly boots, housewares, electronics
11:03 pm
and warmer clother are very strong. this strength lies not just in the department stores and discounters, but also in the warehouse clubs and big box retailers. my dream report continues. what's selling the strongest right now sh. personal computers and smartphones with our channel checks showing brisk sales of apples, iphones, and imacs. we're seeing big sales. best buy confirms similar sales with its apple store within a store. selling you an immense amount of product. and big screen tvs are being hard to keep in stock, as we know. from sure enough corning saying they can't meet demand. mainstream department stores. this is, remember, i'm reading from the mad money why retail stocks should be bought now, truth teller, james cramer. they're reporting very strong sales of north face, vf corp brand. have that in the trust aided by the sudden cold weather across the country.
11:04 pm
uggs, a deckers product, are in short supply. and bloots made by jones apparel are selling exceptionally well. macy's houseware division is recording some of its best sales in years, some of which is product from yarden and celaphon. jordan the crock-pot being among the strongest seller this year. a stay at home cook sale is a stay at home and cook wave seems to be extending the sales of williams-sonoma which is having its best christmas in years. again, my fictional report but factual analysis. the consumer is spending more in part because of a belief that the worst job cuts are behind us. a robust stock market has brought many investors back to even and has stabilized housing market with four straight months of fewer foreclosures and led to a greater willingness to spend. including sherwin williams paint and mixtures by maska.
11:05 pm
also aiding the consumer are lower heating costs and the lower prices at the pump after gas prices have seen a fall. which seems to be an inexorable rise. these are trends confirmed by visa which reports a particularly robust debit card business. the time to buy retailers whether it be tiffany's for jewelry or home depot and action alert.com or macy's since its precipitous decline caused by a willingness to sacrifice of sales for profits is at least upon us. the report continues. j. crew, urban outfitter, staples, they're all trading up terrifically, and they all represent attractive entry points created by the tremendous pessimism from the racks that infiltrate throughout the media complex. see, all that is what i would write if i were a retail analyst instead of just a nothing cable host. yeah. it's what the analysts out there should be writing, given the facts, but they don't want the facts. how come i know more than they do?
11:06 pm
>> well, no. that sounds arrogant. how come i work harder than they do? that sounds better. that's better. this view is so out of sync that no analyst in his or her right mind would ever put out this kind of report, yet all of it -- of course, stocks go down. come on, people shot more when gas goes down. blowout numbers to uggs to the strength in housewares, this all true. the bottom line, can you stick with the bearish research. i'm sure the hedge shorting is -- my rah-rah, rah-rah-rah report. i bet mine makes more money. a sellside analyst to write something so positive. see, they can't afford to let the facts get in the way of a solid/negative story. why don't we go to bruce in texas to start. bruce.
11:07 pm
>> caller: boo-yah, jim, from the lone star state. >> boo-yah, boo-yah, chief. what's on your mind? let's get cranked up? what's up? >> caller: exactly. in light of the market's apparent move in a sideways direction right now, what are your thoughts on best buy? are they just a seasonal player, or do you think they've got legs to them? >> my friend, december 15 is best buy report day. i think it will shock to the upside. others are saying walmart's going to hurt them because they're cutting prices. but you know what, even tonight, even tonight as we speak, corning is saying that things are better than expected. okay. now, who -- who sells corning product? the answer is best buy because these are big screen tvs. i'm not giving up on best buy. i think it's best to breathe. all right. let's go to ted -- oh, loe locally. let's go to ted in new york. ted? >> caller: hey, cramer, here's a big old rochester boo-yah going out to you. >> rochester? i used to cover rochester when i was a salesman at goldman sachs.
11:08 pm
i loved it. what's on your mind? >> i want to give you a out-out to you and your staff especially candy when the person has to scratch off the cheap scotch and other things after cramer has left the building. ♪ >> this is candy. she's also known as props. and getting back to even, i call her props, and she's never going to forgive me for that. >> caller: awesome. i read a while back that clean energy got another contract to build stations for the atlantic county utilities authority right in your own backyard. after a few calls i found out that westport was making chassis. i found out now they're doing a secondary offering. should i get out now or should i stay for the long hall and try to get in on the offering? >> i see they got that offering. let me tell you what the problem is with this.
11:09 pm
it's a vancouver-based company. don't have a full set of financials that meet my demands for trying to understand a company. so what that does is make it purely spec. if you can handle the spec, i don't mind it but i like to have financials. i like to know more about a company. i'd like to have them come on and explain themselves. then i would feel as confident as ted in rochester, new york, does. ♪ all right. don't get caught up in a bad romance. i mean it. stick with the facts, not the bearish rah, rah, rah. come on, let's hear it. "mad money" will be right back. coming up, our "invest in america" series continues. detroit is in the building. cramer goes one-on-one within ford ceo alan mulally to see what road they're taking to help drive the recovery home. plus, the best part of waking up is high prices in your
11:10 pm
cup? camer takes on the coffee wars to see who will come out on the top of the battle royale on a whole new "cell block." and later, lightning strikes. cramer goes electric taking all your calls in a spine-chilling, overcharged lightning round. all coming up on "mad money." she wants to make up. we decide to turn in early.
11:11 pm
we just know. announcer: finding the moment that's right for you both can take some time. that's why cialis gives men with erectile dysfunction options: 36-hour cialis or cialis for daily use. cialis for daily use is a clinically proven low-dose tablet you take every day, so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. tell your doctor about your medical condition and all medications and ask if you're healthy enough for sexual activity. don't take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. don't drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long term injury seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision stop taking cialis and call your doctor right away. announcer: cialis for daily use or 36-hour cialis. ask your doctor if cialis is right for you, so when the moment is right, you can be ready.
11:12 pm
11:13 pm
all week as part of our "invest in america" series, we've been focusing on the idea that if you buy a stock with a company with a great ceo, you're not just investing in the business, you're also investing in a person. what you find is fabulous corporate leaders, best of breed, who know how to create values, those are some of the
11:14 pm
great opportunities out there. take ford, one of the big three who didn't need to go on government life support. the detroit automaker who didn't need to go bankrupt is now selling more cars than anyone would have believed a year ago. why has ford become a suddenly successful and excellent american automaker in one of the greatest comeback stories ever told? because of alan mulally. ford motors' remarkable ceo. that's how. alan is an auto industry outsider who came to ford in september of 2006 from boeing where he revamped the product line and turned boeing into the un unequivocally best airplane manufacturer in the world. i think he's the best america has to offer. he really is. he's a man who's created a miracle. he's fixed boeing. he's fixing ford. those who watch the show know i'm not a touchy feely guy. but you know what? alan makes me proud to be an american. he's a nonhandout roll up your sdleefs guy like you who is about returning the united states to its greatest roots.
11:15 pm
people always say wherever we go, oh, we americans don't know how to make anything anymore. exhibit "a" against that nonsense is the ford motor company which i bet will once again soon be the greatest mass producer of reasonably priced solid well made vehicles in the world. just like it was when ford's namesake revolutionalized the industry by making the first ever affordable car. we need to hear how he did it. we need know what still must be done. we need to dissect this modern-day miracle worker's method so we can learn from him. we need to know the anatomy of a recovery and reinvention of one of the most famous companies in america, done without the government's help. please welcome alan mulally, the ceo of ford, into your living room. he's my hero. i'm determined to make him yours too. sit down. let's get started. we're in the worst recession since the 1930s. i figured you guys would lose
11:16 pm
about $50 a share. you actually were profitable. how? >> well, it really started, jim, three years ago as you mentioned, and, you know, when i was invited to join ford, you know, clearly we looked at the world the way it was. the world was slowing down. we knew we needed a good transformational plan to create a profitably growing ford, so we went to work then we started to invest in non-core assets, focused on the ford brand. >> you don't think astin martin was what was -- >> clearly ford had become a house of brands, and in today's world brand focus is absolutely critical. so it was just so clear we needed to focus on the ford brand which was 85% of the business anyway and also worldwide. so that focus allowed everybody to concentrate on the ford family. >> you raised $26 billion immediately. no one else knew -- i think you're very humble because in truth in 006 everyone else was loading up on
11:17 pm
debt and thinking big. you guys were starting to scale back when things were going up. how did you know to raise the money. ow did you know to take on the unions immediately? why weren't you like all the other americans spending profitability thinking this is the greatest time ever? >> in my case, i had been through it, so many times at boeing, as you pointed out because we've been through the gee political economic cycles. i saw it slowing down in the united states. i know how interdependent we are worldwide. the rest of the word was starting to slow down. so even though we were criticized initially, what we looked at was a business plan that would aggressively restructure to the lower brand and accelerate the newer products. and with that, we laid out the business plan and turned the amount of money we needed and went to the banks with that business case, and, of course, they thought it was terrific and they loaned us the money. >> why didn't you go to the government and say you couldn't do what you could because of the yen dollar and because of the rising -- why didn't you go crying to washington? isn't that the american way? >> absolutely not. this is about creating business
11:18 pm
and creating value and making products that people really do want and value. >> let's talk about that. when you go buy a ford and you're in india or you go buy a ford in china, the reputation of ford was there are about 42,000 different fords out there and there's no way a manufacturing company can support all those different fords. what's the new ford look like? >> oh, this is a very neat story and to go one step back, when we had all the other brands, we had 97 different nameplates. can you imagine the capital allocation on that? now, by focusing on ford and having a complete family, small, medium, and large, we have it down to less than 20. so now with the new car, the new fiesta that's come to the united states, the focus, the fusion, the dynamite mustang, the escape, the edge, the flex, the explore, the expedition and "e" series and the "f" series, number one truck in the world, right there they can serve all of the customers all around the world with that one family. >> are we going to get a car
11:19 pm
from ford that people can go buy for people who don't have a lot of money? >> absolutely. henry ford's vision was to make the car available for everybody. to open up the roads for all mankind and i really feel like we're getting back to the original vision of henry ford. we're going to have small, medium, large, every price range. what the consumer do want. you >> for the last, i'd say 20 years, we have believed that you cannot make cars profitably in this country unless you're non-union, toyota, honda, that we simply can't. that we lose money on every single car we make as american carmakers. true? untrue? >> well, it was true. >> it was true. >> and, you know, we had clearly and not just us, but also our competitors had gotten into a position on our cost structure where we could make them profitably. so one of the first things that i did was invite the union in and we described what do we need to do to be competitive, what do we need to do for ford to be competitive, the
11:20 pm
united states to be competitive, and we went to work. the transformation agrnt is now allowing us to convert truck plants to car plants and make cars in the united states and in the united states and do it profitable. >> do you think that we as a nation have become -- you as a ceo in this nation have to worry about more than just shareholders. i'm thinking you have constituencies like unions, stakeholders, buyers, lenders. you're not in a typical position that ceos have to deal with. you have a lot of different constituencies you have to answer to. >> especially and you will all of them working together are the answer. especially for a global car company like ford. our rallying call is "profitable growth for all," because if we create a viable exciting profitable growing business that is correct means the suppliers are going to be profitable, ford is going to be profitable. all of our employees, dealers and, of course, satisfied customers.
11:21 pm
so it's got to be growth, and it's got to be profitable. >> i hear growth. i hear profitable. what i don't hear is do you want to be the biggest auto company in the world? >> we do not have that down as a goal. our goal is to be just a fabulous automobile company, to make the best cars and trucks, and if we do that, i think we'll earn the trust and confidence of the consumeer. >> but i look at the share that you're taking worldwide. i don't think it's wrong to think that you couldn't do that. >> well, a very important part of growing is not only the industry growing but also that we're making products that people really do prefer and value. and you're right. for the last 12 months, every month we have been increasing share based on the strength of this new product line, which is very gratifying. we live -- we live to design, make, support, and service the best cars and trucks in the world. and that's exciting. >> let's go back to the darkest hours that this country's has had in 80 years talking about the last nine months. i read your releases. it's india profitable, china profitable, united states
11:22 pm
profitable, asia profitable. you have not been at this a long time. how did you get those regions profitable in the worst economy the world has seen since the great depression? >> well, when we started out, jim, and we started to see this slow down, we did something that the automobile companies didn't do, and that is we restructure ourselves, and we took the production down to match the real demand. >> so what was ford doing before? just trying to get 50% shares no matter what? >> they thought all the costs were fixed so they keep the production out. they'd flood the distribution channel. ruined the residual value and it ended up slowing up the recovery. so we wanted to take the action first that we size ourselves but also at the same time we decided together all of the regions around the world we would develop a new family of vehicles, leveraging the assets around the world and we'd be ready as the recovery started to happen. >> let's get some of these. i want people to understand the brand. fiesta is coming here. what's a fiesta?
11:23 pm
does anybody buy a fiesta? >> yeah, fiesta is our car that's just smaller than the fusion. and the fusion was the car of the year this year. so the order of the size is the fiesta, then the focus, then the fusion, then the taurus, and then the mustang. >> how much is it going to cost me to buy a fiesta next year? >> we can fit you in for $14,000 and get you every feature you want on top that of that. all the safety feature, the most fuel-efficient and the highest quality. >> i didn't think you could do that. >> absolutely. >> that's very exciting. after the break, ford alan mulally. i'm excited about this. stick with us. stay with us.
11:24 pm
okay, now here's our holiday gift list. aww, not the mall. well, i'll do the shopping... if you do the shipping. shipping's a hassle. i'll go to the mall. hey. hi. you know, holiday shipping's easy with priority mail flat rate boxes from the postal service. if it fits, it ships anywhere in the country for a low flat rate. yea, i know. oh, you're good. good luck! priority mail flat rate shipping starts at $4.95 only from the postal service. a simpler way to ship. ♪
11:25 pm
♪ (announcer) some people just know how to build things well. give you and your loved ones an expertly engineered mercedes benz at the winter event going on now. but hurry - the offer ends january 4th.
11:26 pm
>> do you think he's driving a gm? do they even have a gm? we're back with alan mulally. there was a ford. there was never a gm. >> do you love that mustang?
11:27 pm
>> it was great. the whole "bullitt" movie was good. you're up against a company that's owned by the united states of america, and therefore, they have the lowest cost money third quarter are completely guaranteed. you're a private industry company. how can private industry compete with the u.s. government? >> well, i think it's important to remember that we actually went back to congress to test in support of -- to testify in support for gm and chrysler because it was so important for the industry. it was so important for the economy. having said, that clearly the advantage we have of being independent far outweighs the disadvantage. >> tell me why. because i've got to believe that if i'm the ward of the state, i get the state's back. >> well, their commitment is that it's a separate company. they made their investment in it. it's going to be run as a separate company and i'm counting on that commitment. but clearly we love where we're going with ford. we've got a complete product line. our quality and productivity is the best. and so the most important thing we do is focus on the customer, and we make the cars and trucks that they absolutely love.
11:28 pm
>> all right. now it's clear that the stock has had a huge run. you did a fantastic offering. a lot of people were thinking you were giving the company away. turned out to be not that much. right now you have an at-the-market going on. does that mean literally at every given day you're issuing stock. is that how it works? >> you know, with we borrowed the money initially as you pointed out, the most important thing we were committing to is we would have a plan to improve the balance sheet going forward so this last year we repaid $10 billion of our debt and we went to the equity markets as you mentioned and raised another 1.6, which is another tremendous confidence by the investors. so we're going to continue to look for opportunities to improve the balance sheet, but the most important thing we do is keep creating the strong business. get back to free cash flow. and then accelerate the improvement of the balance sheet. >> i've been recommending the ford preferred. which has been a monster good piece of paper but, you know, it's in arrears. when are you going to pay back that money? >> the most important thing is keep improving the business, give positive cash flow and
11:29 pm
we said we're going to be profitable in earnings and cash flow in 2011 and then we start improving the balance sheet dramatical dramatically. >> tell me how you can put common stock into the union plan. tell us how that works. tell us whether that isn't going to hurt the stock because they can probably sell it. >> well, absolutely, and the thing we negotiated with the uaw was that we would have the option on how we would fund it which was great for us because as we improve the balance sheet, that gives us options on how to fund that then that liability is off of us and we're on our way. >> you own a company called ford motor credit. >> yes. >> now, we know that gm and chrysler went bad in part because of their credit divisions. we know that the gm division became a gigantic -- perhaps at one point the largest subprime lender. ford never went into that or ford under you never went into that, right? >> absolutely. that was part of our strategy that we do have a captive finance company. that means you have one-stop shopping at your ford store.
11:30 pm
you get your car and you get your financing for the part of the loan. so this has been a competitive advantage for ford and even at the toughest of time when our cost of capital was relatively high, this has been the foundation for us. supporting not only the dealers with the financing of the vehicles but also our customers. as we get back to investment grade then it will be a turbo machine for us. >> it will make a lot of money. used to. >> reasonable return. >> all right. well, when i sold ford motor paper at goldman, it was fantastic paper. "fortune" magazine article, he has to fire wagoner. in it wagoner says, i spoke to this guy alan every day for two weeks. is that true? >> i don't remember it that way. >> interesting. >> but i will say that when i arrived, i reached out to all of the industry leaders including rick, and rick was very, very supportive and i did -- i talked to him. but i don't remember talking to him every day. >> there you go.
11:31 pm
very good. you're an outsider. are you concerned that -- and as a guy i think he was put out to pasture but i've known for two long. are you concerned that a guy like whitacre who was another great american builder has shaken the place up so fast, and is he talking to you? >> as a matter of fact, we did talk yesterday. >> you did. >> he's reaching out just the way i did when i came in. >> you're not really helping him, are you? i mean, come on. >> not too much. but you want to be supportive because we have a lot of industry issues we work together. but my focus, jim, is clearly on transforming our ford and creating an exciting and profitably growing ford for us. that's our focus. >> one of the things we've been focused on is there's not a lot of hiring here. that typically what happens is and we've had great executives from all over the country come on the show that they'd rather hire in china, brazil, india, russia than they'd like to hire here. is that the case with ford? >> absolutely not. and i feel -- i'm very passionate about this. because we are really fighting for the soul of american manufacturing.
11:32 pm
i mean manufacturing is so important to the economy as we've seen during this last recession. we are the part of the solution for energy independence, energy security, sustainability, and we need -- and these are fabulous jobs and it's really the manufacturing with the big "m." it includes innovation. technology, design, manufacturing, and that is the soul of the united states. 64% of our exports are manufacturing. we're 10% of the employment. this is a huge and important part of the business, and we need to be competitive as a company, and we need to be competitive as a country. >> how important is it to have cars that don't emit a lot of pollutants? >> this is going to be very important going forward and i'm very pleased to be part of the solution. because not only are we improving the internal combustion engine today with turbo charging, 30% improvement reduction of co2, and we're moving into the hybrids. number one car of the year, 41 miles to the gallon.
11:33 pm
>> right. >> then we move to all-electric vehicles then next year we have an all-electric transit connect van and after that we'll have an all-electric focus. we're going to move it up and we're working with the government to make sure we have the infrastructure in place. because we are going to be part of the solution going forward. >> let me open this country because we have a lot of natural-gas-based cars. >> i think so. the issue for us is first of all the storage in the car because smaller cars, it takes up so much room. but also we need to address the infrastructure. just like we have to do with hydrogen. so i think the most important thing that we have been trying to be part of the discussion is what are we going to do as a country as far as the infrastructure that supports this fuel efficiency going forward, because we don't have it. technology and innovation, it is part of the answer. >> got to go back to this union issue because when i read in the press, it's pretty clear that it's possible the unions will give gm a better deal than they will give ford. will that not put you at the
11:34 pm
price disadvantage that undoes a lot of the work that you've done? >> we are not at a disadvantage today, and we are very pleased with the transformation agreement that we made with the uaw. we dealt with retiree health care and we went from defined wage structure and also with all the work rules so we are competitive with the very best in the world that operate in the united states. going forward i'm very confident based on the relationship we've had we'll continue to work on the competitiveness of ford. because we are now growing. this is good for everybody. we grow if we're competitive and year after year we continue to improve our quality. >> wouldn't you rather put more resources into building more resources in china and india. >> we have great facilities there. unique thing about henry ford is he set up ford all around the world. now we're using those leverages and assets. we love our operations in the united states and love our operations in every country around the world. >> you know this show. you're a watcher of this show. it's about hope but hope based on prosperity and profit. what does it mean to the country
11:35 pm
and to the world that we have a profitable automaker that is really could end up being the largest in the world? what does it mean to us? >> i think it's just essential to us, jim. these are phenomenal jobs. it's national security, energy independence, energy sustainability. we are part of the answer for growing the u.s. economy and keeping us safe and competitive going forward. and it's an absolute honor. i mean, we are absolutely honored to be serving ford today. >> do you think you can do with ford that you did with boeing to make it -- i'll give you an example. like airbus, i don't think it's as good a company as boeing. will we two years from now think only if they can make -- if only toyota can make cars as good as ford? >> jim, i really like your vision. i really like your vision. with respect to boeing, it's phenomenal. >> isn't it great? >> to get a chance to serve and help design and make those
11:36 pm
fabulous boeing airplanes -- 80% of all airpl e airplanes flying today are boeing. that's a great company. just think for me personally to get a chance to serve two american and global icons is just an absolute thrill. >> okay. i want to thank alan mulally. he's the president and ceo of ford. i'm proud to have you on the show. i'm proud to be american after speaking with you. thank you so much, sir. >> try to keep up with cramer as he takes your calls rapid-fire in an all-new lightning round. later, the best part of waking up is high-priced coffee in your cup? cramer takes on the coffee wars to see who will come out on top in the battle royale on an all new sell block. all coming up on "mad money." um bill-- why is dick butkus here?
11:37 pm
i hired him to speak. a lot of fortune 500 companies use him. but-i'm your only employee. we're going to start using fedex to ship globally- that means billions of potential customers. we're gonna be huge. good morning! you know business is a lot like football. i just don't understand...
11:38 pm
i'm sorry dick butkus (announcer) we understand. your business could use a pep talk. visit fedex.com/peptalk
11:39 pm
it is time.
11:40 pm
it is time for "the lightning round." what's that all about? rapid-fire calls. you say the name of a stock, i tell you whether to buy, buy, buy or sell, sell, sell. just to be clear, ahead of time i haven't heard of it and when you hear this sound and then the lightning round is over. are you ready, skee-daddy. it is time for the "lightning round" and we start with rene or rene in california. >> caller: coach cramer, happy holiday, boo-yah, from palm springs. how are you? >> i'm doing fine. coach cramer is coach urban meyer for the moment. i used to hike down there. what have you got for me? >> caller: thank you for your excellent new book, and regarding freeport in light of the correction, when and where do i get back in? >> you've got a great question. i was talking to my friend, matt horowin, who does all my accounting stuff, and we're both
11:41 pm
puzzled by the action in copper. think copper comes back. the answer is we would be doing a pcu right here. thank you for the commentary. getting back to it, i've been selling boo-yah autographing books next week. you better check it out. let's go to my home state of new jersey. allistair. >> caller: jim, i wanted to offer you a boo-yah. >> that's a geographical boo-yah of the first boo-yah. go ahead. >> caller: first off i haven't done this the last couple of times i called. i usually just thank you for helping me get 25% up since january. >> loving it, thank you. it's getting more than back to even. it's above even. go ahead. >> caller: my question, by the time you put it -- one time i recommended that stock when we first started. this is the wildest communication but not the kind i like. i think it's got too much -- it reminds me of -- it's a lot of competition. i can't go there. i do like skyward solutions. david aldridge, i think he's going to deliver again. it's triquint-like.
11:42 pm
there's a lot of competition. i do like skyward solutions. let's go to melinda in florida. melinda >> caller: boo-yah. >> boo-yah. >> thank you for everything you do and thank you for holding my hand with apple and amazon. and today i'm calling you about angle gold chauncey, au. >> yeah, you know, i recommended that stock in 2006/2007 period. it was an absolutely home run. and i've got to tell you. i'm no longer there. i've got to tell you, my buddy dan dicker on street.com has a piece on how you have to understand what contango is. contango as it's affected by the etfs in which the gold etf is not playing a role, everybody should read this to understand contango and nordic america. let's go to jim. >> caller: i'm calling about lionsgate entertainment.
11:43 pm
>> man, you know what, you're on a wing and a prayer. you're about hope. >> sell, sell, sell. don't buy. sell, sell, sell. >> i don't want to do that. the only actual movie company i'm recommending is time warner, we think that's good, and we like disney. how great was auger when he was here. i mean the guy was just fabulous, right? let's go to one more. let's go to brian in maryland. brian? >> caller: dr. jim, boo-yah from maryland. >> man, maryland. hey, listen, where are the terrapins these days in basketball >> caller: well, i have no idea. >> not right. killing me. that program was so -- what happened to that program? >> caller: my question is gold, and i had three good positions and i sold it a month ago at the top of the heap, and now i'm thinking should i get back in, and is ken ross a good play? >> no, ken ross is another one i liked at one time. i'm not going there. >> sell, sell, sell.
11:44 pm
>> i'm not going to go there. i'm not going there because i have to continue to recommend bullion and gold because of the screwup which missed a quarter so badly. let's stick with the actual commodity. we're trying to buy gold. let's buy gold and let's stick with cramer. >> "lightning round" is sponsored by td ameritrade. coming up, the best part of waking up is high-priced coffee in your cup. cramer takes on the coffee wars to see who will come out on top in the battle royale on an all new "sell block." green shoots. recovery. they say with fingers crossed
11:45 pm
that the worst is behind us. maybe it's time to get back in the market. but different this time. with more control. and more freedom. why not visit td ameritrade? online, over the phone... or in person at a branch. get a feel for their straightforward, objective approach. try out their tools, their research, their help. time for fresh thinking. time for td ameritrade.
11:46 pm
because we believe in the strength of american businesses. ge capital understands what small businesses need to grow and create jobs. today, over 300,000 businesses rely on ge capital for the critical financing they need to help get our economy back on track. the american renewal is happening. right now.
11:47 pm
11:48 pm
there's a war brugge in the coffee space and i'm not just talking about the pitting war between pets and green mountain over dietrich coffee. no, that bidding war was just one battle in larger confrontation about our way of life or at least our way of getting caffeinated. do we go to the coffee shop for a cup of coffee or use the latest technology to brew a single cup at home? that's what pete's and green mountain have been fighting over, and i don't think there's enough room in this space for everyone to come out a winner, which is why in tonight's "sell block," i am pitting these two stocks against each other. yes, in another one of those beyond thunderdome-style claymation fashions in order to determine the best stock to buy. the one thing you need to remember is that nobody fights fair in the cutthroat coffee business. pete's is the chain of coffee
11:49 pm
shops the original one for starbucks. green montana is in a totally different coffee business. it makes a single coffee cup maker. it has revolutionized coffeemaking and i have asked this from my loved ones for the holidays. are you listening, loved ones? just the hated ones. the keureg, which barbara in connecticut asked me about a week ago and i was oblivious to despite my sister's proselytizing. it takes all the difficulty out of brewing a cup of joe. it rids you of the need to use filters. mine always have when i don't clean them. the coffee beans, i don't know. i put them in the refrigerator, is that right. and i brew a whole pot at once when you really just want a cup. with this machine if you don't already have one yourself, you take a pod. it's called a "k" cup and you plug it in. give me a account q" cup. thank you. you put a k cup in, here you go,
11:50 pm
seal it, and it brews exactly one cup of dlivs -- one cup of delicious coffee in less than a
11:51 pm
11:52 pm
11:53 pm
11:54 pm
11:55 pm
11:56 pm
11:57 pm
. (announcer) take your time to find the right time with cialis for daily use... a clinically proven, low-dose tablet for erectile dysfunction you take every day so you can be ready anytime the moment is right. tell your doctor about your medical condition and all medications and ask if you're healthy enough for sexual activity. don't take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain,
11:58 pm
as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. don't drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long term injury seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision stop taking cialis and call your doctor right away. (announcer) 36-hour cialis. or cialis for daily use. ask your doctor about cialis today, so when the moment is right, you can be ready. because now you can trade u.s. and foreign stocks online, in 12 markets, 24 hours a day, all from the same account, and settle in u.s. dollars or the local currency. plus, we'll guide you with international research and realtime quotes, so you can diversify your portfolio, wherever -- whenever. and we'll be on call around the clock, while you trade around the globe.
11:59 pm
fidelity investments. turn here.

143 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on